Welcome to Dr Sami Alneaim Public

Energy Website

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Why does Saudi Arabia Consume more oil than many countries in the world?

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

Oil consumption is the best indicator for energy conservation.  Reviewing world oil consumption for oil producing and non-producing countries in the world, it becomes very amazing the amount of oil that 3rd world countries such as Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, and Mexico consume.  Those three countries consume more than 2 million barrels per day which is more oil consumption than any country in EU except Germany.  If someone makes detailed analysis of several economical variables such as GDP, population, industry, and power generation; oil consumption in Saudi Arabia or the other 3rd world countries becomes a valid subject to drill into? 

--

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

Engineering Consultant

January 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

Thanks Salamah for bringing this strategic subject for discussion.

As a matter of fact, Saudi Arabia alone consumes something close to 2.3 million barrel per day of oil. I have written several articles about this subject. You can see them all under my published articles.

Regards

Sami

January 18, 2011 at 1:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

The subject must be everybody's concern and we need to have other members share the discussion with an emphasis on the following points:

1. How can oil consumption be reduced

2. Sharing innovative ideas to reduce oil consumption without risking country development

3. Coming up with practical methodology(s) to save oil reserves

And other supporting thinkings to help in this subject.

--

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

Engineering Consultant

January 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

I agree with you 100%. We must know first where is most of the energy generated from oil is consumed? It is consumed either in transportation and electricity generation. Both factors can be highly reduced if there is a comprehensive high standard public transportation systems (buses, trains, metro, etc.) and solar electricity generation. The worst than this consumed 2.3 million barrel per day, is the fact that Saudi Arabia import gasoline to meet the local consumption and most of the cheep diesel is illegally shipped to nearby countries where is sold at much higher prices (Tahreeb).

January 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

It is amazing to know that approximately 33% of energy is wasted in a major local industrial plant on equipment because of not using heat recovery systems.  The payback for a heat recovery system using international energy cost will not be more than two to three years.

--

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

Engineering Consultant

January 26, 2011 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

I agree with you 100%. Also I know that the electricity generators are running at less than 70% efficeincy and the electrical company has no plan to replace these equipments with new technology with higher eeficiency. Basically, more than 30% of the feul used to generate electricity is waisted.

The problem is that there is no goverment body to enforce international standards.

January 27, 2011 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

I was thinking to start from individuals energy consumption.  Let's ask ourselves, how much energy we consume on:

1.Electricity bill/Monthly average

2.Gasoline/Monthly average

It is simple, go to your electric bills for 2010 and average them and estimate you gasoline consumption. and report it here.

We  may draw an initial conclusion from 24 people in this site?

Thanks.

--

Salamah S. Al-Anizi

Engineering Consultant

February 3, 2011 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

Good idea. I will try to do it sometimes next week. I hope others specially who live in Saudi Arabia can do it as well. I wonder also if we can do it for last 2-5 years and compare the consumption with this year as well.

February 4, 2011 at 4:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kareem Lateef Adewale

The efficiency of electrcity generating plant depends on the efficiency of the chemical to mechanical conversion and that of mechanical to electrical. The mechanical to electrical does not pose much problem as most plants can operate that process at up to 90% efficiency. The problem lies in the heat to mechanical energy process. From thermodynamic point of view, it is not possible to increase the efficiency beyond about 40%(efficiency of a carnot engine). Hence I will opine that we seek further development of solar and wind power generation technologies or better a nwe way to convert heat to electrical energy without first converting to mechanical energy. This will help reduce the dependency on oil.

--
May 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

I agree with you. We also need to look at electricity transfer efficiency which is also very low. A lot of electricity got lost in the way and any development or advances in the transfer technology will improve the overall efficiency even for renewables such as solar. This challenge will be also major factor for solar.

May 9, 2011 at 5:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dr. Sami Alnuaim
Site Owner

I am very happy to see the news of establishing a solar electricity generation stations such as the one to be established by SECECO with the Japanese partnership in Fursan islands. Also not forgetting the pilot water desalination plant project that KACST in sponsoring in Khafji. Both projects are good step forward towards the use of the renewable sources of energy in the Kingdom. But, I think the country needs more than that to accelerate the momentum in this direction. It is missing the national strategy for the utilization of the renewable energy that contains legislation, specification, plans, accountability and performance indices. This role is expected to be played by the newly established King Abduulah agency for Nuclear and renewable Energy.

October 2, 2011 at 6:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.